Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is digging her ears i treated for ear mits and she still…

Customer Question
She is digging her...

She is digging her ears i treated for ear mits and she still digs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Pepper 7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Pepper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?

No she has had all of her shots and is fixed.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is a miniature schnauzer and weighs 8 lbs.
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Pepper's troubles. A couple common causes of itchy ears is an ear infection or hair in the ears. Ear infections are especially common in dogs that have a lot of hair around and in their ears like Miniature Schnauzers.

Lift up Pepper's ear flap and see if she has black, gooey, greasy stuff in the ear canal. If she does, it is more than likely an ear infection. If you see this, you can clean the ears with a one part vinegar, two parts water mixture. You can also add one 325mg aspirin per 8 oz of this mixture. The vinegar and aspirin help to dry the ear and make a less suitable environment for bacteria and yeast. Drip the cleaner into the ear canal until some of it runs out. Then massage the base of the ear to help the cleaner work the exudate loose. Let her shake her head and then using a paper towel on your finger, wipe out as much of the exudate as possible. You don't have to use a Q-tip. Clean the ears twice a day. It usually takes about 7 days to clear an ear infection. You might want to clean the ears once or twice a week once she is healed in order to prevent future ones.

If there is no decrease in the exudate then you may have to see a veterinarian for a prescription ointment.

Cleaning the ears this way will also help rid them of loose hair and other debris that can cause itchiness.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr-Bonk