Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

7 yo yorkie with constipation (hard stools). Stomach seems…

Customer Question
7 yo yorkie with...

7 yo yorkie with constipation (hard stools). Stomach seems distended. has eaten canned pumpkin and dog stool softeners. Next step?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

As stated b4. Age 7 yo; Name Eddie - yorkie rescue at age 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Read msg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

All info given in previous msgs.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Hi this is drb and I would be happy to help you with this. So. If you have tried pumpkin and stool softeners then the question becomes why are we getting constipated in the first place? You can try miralax powder and add 1/4 teaspoon twice daily to food and gradually increase every couple of days until it is easy for your dog to pass a stool. You might also try adding water to your dogs food. In addition if your dog does not have success with this protocol then I would see your vet because your dog could have a partial intestinal obstruction. And these can be life threatening. I hope that helps. Sincerely drb