Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little beagle will not take his antibiotics, tried in…

Customer Question
My little beagle will...

My little beagle will not take his antibiotics, tried in food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Tasha, ten yearsold.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tasha?

She was recent;y dx'd with cancer. Brought her back a week ago and is when they think they miss dx'd her. Think she might have an infection in her eye. Putting antifungal creme on eye and is doing great. She is still all stuffed up because of allergies, sneezes all the time and has problems with breathing through her nose, her left nose is almost completely blocked and right one is about 1/2.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Tasha still eating well?
2) What foods have been tried?
3) Any vomiting?
4) What antibiotic is being used?
5) Are any other meds being used for the allergies?

She is getting her regular dogfood. No vomiting. Antibiotics are amoxicillin 250 mgm 1 2x/day. Have been able to get only one in for about five days now, clemdamysin 75 mgm 1 2x/day. Have been able to get only one in in about 5 days also. Taking 1 Benadry capsule a day. She clenches her teeth together and cannot open the. In the last two days she has maybe eaten 1 tsp each day. she know her meds are in with her food and will not go near it. First day was pretty good than after that no way. I am really worried about taking her meds and eating. She does all her normal activities. She is my baby and I love her to death. Please help me. Thank you.

Have you tried any enticing foods yet without medication like a piece of cheese, bit of hotdog, etc?

Are you opening capsules and mixing them into the food?

Have you witnessed any gagging or vomiting?

Have not experienced any gagging or vomiting. Gave her some chicken with her regular dog food this morning. At all of chicken and some of regular food. Should I feed her the same way tonight and than try later in the evening to try to entice her with one or 2 of the pills? If she starts taking the pills like that should I ask my vet to hqve more of the pills orderd since I used a lot of them and they were not not taken by her.
Rating for previous answer is 7. Thank you.

Here's what I recommend doing:

Make sure that whatever you intend to give her WITH medication is first given without medication. She may not actually know that she's being medicated but the medication may upset her stomach (which is common) and, thus, she will think it's linked to the food and not want to eat. If you are giving the pills in any type of food, be sure not to open the capsule itself and to slip it inside of something tantalizing that she will want to eat. Give a few bites of this first without medication before giving the medicated treat. Dogs are usually so excited by the 2nd to 3rd treat that they will just swallow down the next one that's given and she won't be so much of a hassle to medicate. I would try treats like putting pillows in small marshmallows, a bit of hot dog, peanut butter, etc.
If she likes the chicken, try to form the chicken around a piece you give to her and allow her to take it directly from your hand. It's very common for dogs to leave pills in their bowl when otherwise given the option.

If she likes the way things are going with chicken on the food, keep offering this. If you need more medication, definitely talk to your vet about refilling the prescription so she can receive the full course.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tasha?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy