Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His back is bothering him. He got playing too hard with a…

Customer Question
His back is bothering...

His back is bothering him. He got playing too hard with a big dog. Is there something over the counter I can give him to relax his muscles? I have been carrying him on the stairs. He will not lay down though.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Tiger, 12 yrs. He is a small pomeranian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiger?

No, he doe not have any other medical issues or on any medications.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what symptoms you're seeing currently?

You can he is walking funny on the back side. Is ok on a bed but will not do stairs or lay on the floor.
I rub his back or pick him up and he is ok and does not cry. But when he is walking or on the floor when he moves a certain direction he will cry.

This does sound like he's sore. Given his age, it would be wise to have him evaluated for full time usage of glucose and prescription medication to help to prevent another occurrence like this.

Here are some steps you can take from home: If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ Be sure to read through the warnings as this medication does not come without risks.

I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort. As he ages, this may continue to happen and may worsen with each occurrence.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is Tiger today?