Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 1/2 year old rott x lab female that recently…

Customer Question
I have a 13...

I have a 13 1/2 year old rott x lab female that recently developed a gagging hacking couch with foamy egg white phlegm. Day one, thought she may have had a impact injury from other dogs while playing, day two still without relenting. worse at night, lots of material coughed up. Injury, kennel cough, or congestive heart failure? No edema, seems alert and not lethargic, just the cough. Her pen mate was to the vet 2 weeks ago for spay and shots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

She is not lethargic, Grace is her name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No she has been incredibly active and healthy for a large breed dog her age. Some arthritis in hips

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. My thought is that it may be an upper respiratory infection. Congestive heart failure is possible, but you tend to have more of a wet sounding cough. An injury would be unlikely. Older dogs do tend to suffer from a chronic bronchitis that causes that type of coughing. Usually what they cough up, they swallow, though. Another concern would be tumors in the lungs. Try pressing around his trachea close to his chest. If you can elicit a cough like that, I would lean more towards a upper respiratory infection. Either way, I would have your vet listen to his heart and lungs. It would be a very good idea to get x-rays of the chest, but they may just treat with antibiotics and cough medications first. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

this morning there were about 8 puddles of viscous white frothy goo around where she sleeps. 2 - 4 tablespoons each
I am sorry that I spent 19 dollars on this. I will not recommend this to anyone. Good bye, have a nice weekend I hope you have not been caught in the hurricane's path.

I am sorry. Is there a reason you are upset?

That white foam typically comes from the respiratory tract. Like I said, I see it most commonly with an upper respiratory infection, but you may see it with some of these other issues.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Grace is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian