Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has osteosarcoma and we recently found out he has a…

Customer Question
My dog has osteosarcoma...

My dog has osteosarcoma and we recently found out he has a small fracture/fragment in his distal radius now. The vet gave us morphine sulfate 30mg tablets with sig : 1/2 to 1 tablet po every 8 hours instead of the tramadol since that is not touching the pain since it is now fractured. I have not given him his first dose yet as I think he may have been under dosed. His weight is 122# ***** he is a dane/staffie mix. trying to find out if that is correct or not. I have not received a call back as of yet from my vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Barney is 5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?

We chose not to amputate because he had a TPLO repair at 3 yrs old and both back legs are very arthritic

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Barney. In dogs, the starting dose of regular moprhine is recommended to be 0.5 mg per pound orally every 4-6 hours. That would be equivalent to two of those 30 mg tablets every 4-6 hours. Sustained release morphine is usually dosed at 1 - 2.5 mg per pound twice daily and should not be broken which turns sutained-release morphine into immediate-release which can result in overdose and death. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.