Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has a spot on his side. It looks like a tumor or wart,

Customer Question
He has a brown...

He has a brown spot on his side. It looks like a tumor or wart, about the size of a pencil eraser. He's 8 years old; had a cancerous tumor about 5 years ago that was removed. And he has fatty tumors that are under the skin, but this one is on top of the skin. He has been licking it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Loki

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Loki?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this "spot" to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I don't like to see that inflammation surrounding the brown bump. A dangerous mast cell tumor is my primary concern. Please have Loki's vet needle aspirate this and examine the aspirate microscopically. Mast cells are easy to see. If his vet doesn't see mast cells but does see other abnormal cells more difficult to identify, the aspirate will sent to our pathologist for review. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?