Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 13 years old has bumps all over him and has bare

Customer Question
He is 13 years...

He is 13 years old has bumps all over him and has bare patches where he has lost hair. He continues to chew on himself. We have him on two prescriptions apoquel and hydroxyzine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Brock

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brock?

I already went through this. I am waiting for a vet response.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these bumps to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. I'm concerned that you're seeing evidence of a superfical spreading pyoderma secondary to Apoquel use. A pyoderma is a bacterial skin infection usually caused by Staph.

Let me know if you can see the pictures.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

He has excoriated his skin to the point of ulcerating it which has become secondarily infected. I would stop administering Apoquel and initiate treatment for pyoderma which consists of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, your vet hospital, or online. The antibiotic is a prescription drug available only from an attending vet. (We’re not allowed to prescribe through this venue.) Treating the infection will reduce his pruritis (itchiness) eliminating the need for Apoquel or glucocorticoids (steroids). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I have an appointment with his best on Tuesday at 10:00 AM.

Our messages crossed. Please see my post timestamped 6:53 AM (my time). The last pic reveals very chronic skin infection. Hyperpigmented and lichenified epidermal collarettes are present and indicate pyoderma.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian