Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate 12 oz of 60% caoco chocolate chips 13 or 14 hours…

Customer Question
My dog ate 12 oz...
My dog ate 12 oz of 60% caoco chocolate chips 13 or 14 hours ago. About 7 hours after she seemed restless and walked with a drunken gait. After sleeping a few hours 4 or so, she is again restless and has increased thirst, and peed on herself. No vomiting or diarrhea. Is it safe to think this is the worst of it or is it likely she will continue to decline? We contacted a vet after it happened but they said wait and see because it was too late for vomit inducing.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is 38lbs
Oh and I've been monitoring her heart rate (I think by taking the amount of beats for 10 secs then multiplying by 6) nothing above 120. But mostly around 100 to 115.
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lola. The half life of theobromine is a long 17.5 hours and so these dogs can remain symptomatic for 24-36 hours. Theobromine becomes toxic when ~1/4 ounce of that concentration of cacao per pound of body weight is ingested which would be equivalent to just 9.5 ounces of those chips. Inducing emesis isn't helpful at this point but dosing with activated charcoal can shorten the length of time she's symptomatic. The charcoal suspension is tubed down her in a hospital setting. Over the counter charcoal ("universal antidote") capsules aren't practical when dosing dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

are her symptoms severe enough to warrant asking them to do this or is there a tipping point of when I might take her in or just wait it out. Is she likely to continue to decline and have worse more serious symptoms if I don't do the charcoal?

She's affected badly enough that I would not only dose with activated charcoal but also have her on IV fluids and administer an enema in order to hasten excretion of the theobromine. It's difficult to predict if she'll improve or worsen at this time. Theobromine undergoes enterohepatic circulation; in other words, theobromine that's excreted into her intestines can be re-absorbed into her circulation. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian