Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had surgery to repair her cruciate 3 days ago, she…

Customer Question
Hi my dog had...

Hi my dog had surgery to repair her cruciate 3 days ago, she seems a bit constipated as she is yelping when she poops. But nevertheless she is still pooping, but I know she is in pain and trying to drag her bum and is leaking poo

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

I know the constipation is normal but not sure about the leaking Narla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

I don't think so?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is the stool liquid or solid? If so, is it hard and difficult to pass?

Any vomiting?

Is she on any medications?

How are her eating and drinking habits?

Hi,There has been no change to food, and change of environment is yes because she is now being kept contained in a crate for the recovery from her cruciate surgery. She has not swallowed anything foregin as she has been in a crate the whole time. Please see below responses.Is the stool liquid or solid? If so, is it hard and difficult to pass? - extremely difficult to pass - yelping the stool is both solid and softAny vomiting? noIs she on any medications? yes - Lyrica 150mg - 1 x BID, Metacam 1.5mg (35kg SID) and Symmetrel 100mg - 2 x BID. She also just finished her dose of Cephalexin 1000mg - 1 x BIDHow are her eating and drinking habits? eating and drinking normally

Which medications were started at the time of her ligament repair?

Is this also when the pain with stooling began?

The new medications were only the antibiotics (cephalexin).
Yes the pain has only started since having the surgery

Thank you for the clarification. There's a very good chance that the changes in her stool and the pain are due to the cephalexin. This is likely upsetting her stomach and she's experiencing soft/solid combination stools and experiencing pain. Have any other medications been added to help with this change and the discomfort such as probiotics? Have you discussed this with your vet and brought to topic potentially changing antibiotics?

Hi there, I have noticed she has a bit of blood on her anus as well but only when she does a poo

Thank you for the additional information. Did my questions above come through? If so, can you please reply to them and I'll get back to you?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse