Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 7 year old female papillon mix. I recently

Customer Question
purchased a cordless clipper (Wahl...
My dog is a 7 year old female papillon mix. I recently purchased a cordless clipper (Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Series #9766 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGAOUW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Jd5Uzb57705NB) to give her a sanitary trim. The first time I gave her a sanitary trim, I trimmed down her stomach and butt and I think the lowest guard I used was the #2. I didn't trim any of the hair directly around her vulva. Everything was fine after this trim. She no longer had dried, urine-stained hair on her stomach. However, since I didn't touch the hair around her vulva, this area did continue to remain regularly wet with urine and some of the long hairs were always laying just inside the opening of her vulva, making that area bright red all the time.
I gave her a second sanitary trim yesterday and did two things differently this time: 1) I used the #1 guard for her perineum so that area is a little shorter this time (but not shaved), and 2) I used the clippers to trim some of the long hairs surrounding her vulva. I was very careful with all the trimming and she absolutely isn't cut or burned anywhere but she is very bothered by this trim. She'll take a few steps and then sit down. To begin with, she wasn't licking the area but it's been a few hours now and she's licking the area constantly.
I feel sure the area that's bothersome to her must be the short hairs around her vulva. I guess it could also be the hair on her perineum because it's shorter this time also but she isn't licking her butt. All her licking is on her stomach/vulva. She can't walk more than a few inches before she sits down and starts licking. It's like she's completely immobilized. I feel so badly that I did this to her!
What should I do to help her? I tried rubbing coconut oil on it at first and that maybe helped a little but it also made her lick herself even more because she likes coconut oil, so that was a bad idea. I went to the pet store and bought a lidocaine spray for itching but that isn't helping at all (and she's continuing to lick the area so I'm pretty sure her tongue must be numb now). After the lidocaine spray experience, I tried to get her to eat dinner and drink some water and she wouldn't do either.
Would a medicated shampoo for itching help? Should I buy her a cone and use hydrocortisone? Give her Benadryl? Take her to a professional groomer and have them look at her? At this point, there's no broken skin and no redness but I worry if she continues to obsessively lick that she will cause those things to happen.
I will be grateful for any advice you have. Thank you!
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Suki

It sounds like she is experiencing a significant itch from the short sanitary clip. This can be very common, but her reaction sounds like she is quite irritated.

I recommend an e-collar (cone) to keep her from licking the area and causing further trauma.

Benadryl can help to reduce the inflammation and the itch. It is dosed at 1mg/lb every 12 hours orally.

I would advise against further coconut oil a the skin needs to stay dry to heal and prevent any moist dermatitis from erupting.

If she has not been bathed as part of this grooming process, bathing with a 3-4% Chlorhexidine shampoo can help to prevent/treat and infection resolve any inflammation from the previous urine staining.

Here is my preferred shampoo for skin conditions:

https://www.chewy.com/dog/dp/110817?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Douxo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIur35k52o1gIVBaZpCh1WZAeOEAQYASABEgLx6_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It make take a few days for the itch to resolve and for her to feel more comfortable.

If she is still irritated after the above plan, I recommend having her seen by your veterinarian as she may need antibiotics or additional treatment.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. Checking on Suki. How is she feeling today?

Hi Cat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Suki. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat