Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was wondering what the best medication would be for my dog…

Customer Question
Hi, i was wondering...

Hi, i was wondering what the best medication would be for my dog who has ringworm?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

He has ringworm and is very itchy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

No he doesnt have fleas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He has ringworm

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog has ringworm. It can be a very difficult infection to get rid of.

There are a few options for treating ringworm and they depend on the severity of the disease. If it is just a couple tiny spots, then you can use a topical medication such as miconazole lotion. If it is more widespread, you will need a combination of two medications: itraconazole (an oral anti fungal) and a lyme sulfur dip (topical solution you can use to cover the dog). This is the best combination and the one that will actually kill and get rid of the ringworm. Topical ketoconazole shampoos or climbable shampoos may help, but won't get rid of the ringworm completely and you will have to deal with it again, so I would stick with the lyme sulfur and the itraconazole. You can get the lyme sulfur dips over the counter at places like amazon.com, or your vet may have it. The itraconazole is a prescription and you will need to get that from your veterinarian. The treatment is typically going to be for at least a month. The fungus is spread in the air via spores, so assume your whole home is contaminated. Try to vacuum as best as possible and clean surfaces at least daily. Hopefully that will take care of the ringworm situation at home. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. G.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian