Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate a bag of sour gummy worms. Will she be okay?

Customer Question
My dog just ate...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She is a shihpoo. 5 and a half years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ali

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ali?

Not that I can think of. She has gotten into the trash many times and eaten things that she shouldn't, but usually she is taken to the vet and they induce vomiting.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Just wondering if sour gummy worms are toxic to dogs.
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. No, unless those gummy worms contained the sugar alcohol sweetener xylitol, they're not toxic to Ali. Please check the ingredient list. If xylitol can't be found on the list, as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but she wasn't intoxicated and should remain safe.

No xylitol, and she has been urinating and defecating normally today. Thank you for getting back to me

That's good to hear. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian