Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has small black dots seem to be all down the back of his…

Customer Question
He has small black...

He has small black dots seem to be all down the back of his spine in certain clustered sections. It almost looks like black heads are forming on certain areas of his skin. He's also itchy , licks his paws a lot, scratches and shakes his head. I think he might have a yeast infection.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Small white dog - terrier poodle mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

I havent used any medication on him Roger he's 3 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roger?

He's been treated multiple times for skin issues -- this isn't out of the ordinary and we thought it was allergies but i think this might be either flea related or yeast related

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. You appear to be describing a comedo ("blackhead") syndrome more common in Schnauzers which is an acne-like disorder of follicular keratinization. This can be secondarily infected by both bacteria and yeast.

His pruritis (itchiness) - particularly of his paws and head - suggests both atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian