Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We had an accident with our dog tonight. He was under a tire…

Customer Question
We had an accident...

We had an accident with our dog tonight. He was under a tire of a boat trailer and got run over. I didn't see it so don't know exactly what happened, but he yelped and came running out - limping on three legs. Since then he has been able to walk on 4 legs. No breaks are apparent, but he has a funny cough when he's lying down now. I'm worried about internal injuries. He has a kind of tire mark on one of his shoulders, I happened over an hour ago and he's had no yelping when I've picked him up and carried him, but appears to be having trouble with his breathing when he's lying down. What kind of dog? A part shitzu mix, small, about 11-12 pounds. He's hurting and licking a open sore on the inside of one leg, but otherwise seems just tired. Should I bring him into a vet tonight? He did drink a little water once we got home, but refused food. He typically is a real licker, but won't do that now. Suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's about 6 years go? Where should I bring him tonight?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding your ShihTzu.

I'm so sorry to hear that he was injured.

If he is having trouble breathing when laying down and has tire marks on his shoulder, he may have a lung injury or other internal injures. I recommend taking him for urgent care this evening for xrays to assess for internal injuries.

At a minimum, he is in need of pain mediation, but may also need treatment for his wounds or oxygen to support his breathing.

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. Checking in. How is your dog doing today?

I've been thinking about your ShihTzu. Curious for an update. I hope he is well.

-Dr. Denise