Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog chewed up a pencil today. she didn't ingest the metal

my dog chewed up a...
my dog chewed up a pencil today. she didn't ingest the metal but did ingest a good part of the pencil
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penney, estimated age 1.5 to 2 years. adopted rescue
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Penney?
Customer: she is hypothyroid. allergic to plastic/nylon. under a vets care and on antibiotics for a skin infection.
9/15/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Penney.

It's unlikely that the pencil she ingested will cause significant issues for her either in terms of toxicity or the risk of an obstruction. Fortunately, when our pets ingest inappropriate things (such as this), there won't be any adverse consequences from having done so.

I might feed her an additional meal or possibly additional fiber such as whole wheat bread. Increased activity may help to increase transit time.

You might note looser stools or possibly blood associated with her feces but this should be fairly self-limiting and not of concern.

I hope this helps to reassure you about her, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Best of luck with her. Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian