Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got back and the dogs knocked over the trash, it's…

Customer Question
Hi! I just got...

Hi! I just got back and the dogs knocked over the trash, it's hard to tell if either of them ate any of the mussel shells that were in there. So far they are behaving normally.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

One of them is Merlin, I believe aged 6 or over (I'm sitting) and the other is Boomer probably about 2 or 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?

I don't think so, no other unusual behavior so far.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Merlin and Boomer.

What are their breeds and weights?

When did you leave the house? (ie. how long ago might they have eaten the mussel shells?)

If they did ingest the mussel shells, there is potential that they will pass them uneventfully. However, some dogs have experienced GI obstruction from mussel shells. If the shells were chewed, they also pose a concern of cutting the GI tract as they pass. I recommend watching them closely and adding cooked white rice to their food to bulk it up. This will enough the shells to pass without injury.

I would encourage you to watch them for signs of obstruction or GI distress over the next 2-3 days - vomiting, decreased appetite, diarrhea, decreased stool formation, lethargy, painful abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!