Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has diarrhea and it looks like nothing but blood, Her…

Customer Question
My dog has diarrhea...

My dog has diarrhea and it looks like nothing but blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sugar?

She's very underweight, I can't get her to gain weight either. The bloody diarrhea has been going on for the last 2 hours but has had diarrhea for 2 days now

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset today. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress, especially if she is thin as you say and simply doesn't have the reserves of a normal dog. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good evening, I am checking in on Sugar to see how the bloody diarrhea is? Has it resolved? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman