Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog is end stage dm...her back legs don't work...

she takes 300mg gabepentin at...
I think my dog is end stage dm...her back legs don't work... she takes 300mg gabepentin at night... can i add acepromazine to keep her comfortable?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Blue.. she is 12 labmix
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blue
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blue?
Customer: She has been weak for awhile but just today she can no longer use them. Tomorrow i am probably going to euthanize
9/15/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Blue is having a rough time.

By DM, are you referring to Diabetes Mellitus?

No degenerative myel
Just need to know about interactions

Ok, thank you for clarifying. I'm checking for medication interactions now.

There are no documented contraindications in using Acepromazine in conjunction with Gabapentin. Both can cause a strong sedative effect, so you will likely achieve the desired drowsiness and sleep with this combination. Acepromazine can cause hypotension (decreased blood pressure), so I recommend starting with a lower dose and increasing if necessary.

How much does she weigh?

What size tablets do you have?

10 mg 50 pounds.. I'm just gonna do the10 with the 300mg gabepentin...ty for answering!

I agree, I would start with that dose. It would be safe to add another 10mg tablet if needed to help her sleep.

Again, my condolences on her declining condition. I wish you both peace in the days to come.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Its gonna be tough... but ty for your help. One more night...
Where is the review

It should be at the top, or pop up for you. You might also receive an email directing you how to complete it.

Thank you very much for your review.

You are both in my prayers tonight.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian