Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my 20lb dog ate a 200 mg of Benzonatate, please

Customer Question
I think my 20lb...

I think my 20lb dog ate a 200 mg of Benzonatate, please advise if I need to take him to the emergency

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

12 years, petey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Petey?

He gets adequin injections every 2 weeks.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

There is very little clinical experience using this drug in animal patients and dosages referenced to supporting scientific data for animal patients were not located. Use with caution. Dosages of 1 – 2 mg/kg PO two to three times daily or one 100 mg capsule (in dogs weighing more than 10 lbs./4.5 kg)

So for a dog that is 20 pounds (9 kg) this would be just 9-18 mg

According to the veterinary formula:

Benzonatate is potentially very toxic to animals and humans when overdosed, but very limited data are available with respect to animal ingestions. Severe intoxication in humans has led to death and, reportedly, one or two capsules can be lethal in human infants. Severe toxicity can include cardiac arrest, arrhythmias, hypotension, and seizures.

There were 176 single agent exposures to benzonatate reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 163 dogs, 58 were symptomatic with 53% vomiting, 14% lethargic, 12% hypersalivating, 12% tachycardic, 9% retching, and 7% ataxic.

With this information I would strongly advise inducing vomiting. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

​If no vomiting of a whole pill then please consider a veterinary er to use stronger medication and activated charcoal to block its absorption and minimize symptoms of this ingestion

​Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

Good evening, I am checking in on Petey to see if there were any issues with the ingestion yesterday? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman