Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy is 5 months old and is peeing herself even though…

Customer Question
My puppy is 5...

My puppy is 5 months old and is peeing herself even though shes potty trained Ive been to the dr. 3x he has no reason did a urinalysis and it was negative for anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?

Did you read the previous texts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?

You obviously aren't reading all of the things I wrote! Please read

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Her vaginal area smells and when she pees its clear and a lot. Its like she cant hold it at time

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

June

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about June?

Her behavior seems to be very normal. She plays a lot, sleeps good, and is loving. She is just peeing herself at times and her vagina smells and sometimes has discharge. The dr. said she had vaginitis and put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks. It still comes and goes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I have a few more questions to better understand her condition.

How old is June?

What is her breed and weight?

When did she first start showing symptoms?

Has she been spayed yet?

June is rescue dog, 5 months old, a German Sheppard, collie mix breed. We noticed a greenish discharge from her vagina when she was 3 months old. She sees a vet regularly and he said it was vaginitis. She was taking medicine for some kind of skin bacteria that he said would probably clear it up. When it didn't he gave her a 10 day antibiotic and it seemed to work. But then a few weeks later we noticed a foul odor coming from her vagina. Took her back to Dr. and he said it is just something female puppies get from time to time. He did a urinalysis but it was very diluted. Weve noticed when she pees it comes out fast, clear and a lot. She then began peeing on herself the last 3 weeks at times. Its not every day, but sometimes it is more than once a day. We called vet and he said to withhold water from her for 10 hours, bring her and get a more concentrated urine sample. The results were negative for anything abnormal he said. She is not spayed and never had a period
She seems normal other than that. she plays a lot, very loving, sleeps normal hours, and is very smart. She was potty trained and rings bells on door when she has to go out. She sometimes pees in her sleep. But the vet doesn't seem to concerned, but we are. She's 35lbs
Its getting worse and now her vaginal area looks irritated.

It sounds like your veterinarian has done an appropriate work up so far for June. He is correct that puppy vaginitis is common in puppies, but it sounds like she is experiencing urinary incontinence as well (causing her to leak urine in her sleep).

I recommend cleaning her vaginal area daily with a hypoallergenic baby wipe to reduce the risk of infection.

Has she had any bloodwork done? Especially to check her kidney function?

Have you measured her water intake at any time?

No to the bloodwork that I know of. She seems to drink a lot of water but then again so does my other 6 month old puppy that is a Catahoula/Lab mix.Is there a vet that specializes in this and could do further testing? I'm really concerned because it comes back, and now the incontinence is getting worse I just want to make sure there isn't something more serious

I agree that she may be in need of further testing at this point.

My first recommendation would be routine bloodwork to check her kidney values or for any other reason for her excessive thirst, urination and dilute urine. She may need a urine culture to rule out an occult infection that is difficult to detect in her dilute urine. She may also need an abdominal ultrasound to confirm her urinary anatomy is normal.

A consultation with an Veterinary Internal Medicine Specialist would be a wise next step.

Where do you live? I may be able to help direct you to a specialist hospital in your area.

Dallas, TX

Depending on your location within Dallas, here are a few options in the Dallas area:

Dallas Veterinary Specialists

6150 E Mockingbird Ln #201, Dallas, TX 75214

(###) ###-####/p>

Veterinary Specialists of North Texas

*****# 114, Dallas, TX 75243(###) ###-####/p>

Center for Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Care

2700 Lake Vista Dr, Lewisville, TX 75067

(###) ###-####/p>

I wish you and June all the best.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!