Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Second opinion] My dog has a lump under her skin close to…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My dog has...
Second opinion] My dog has a lump under her skin close to her belly towards her rear end. The lump is not very hard and is about the size of a nickel. When she sits down or stands I can feel it, but it doesn't cause her any pain or discomfort. She's still eating,drinking, running around, and playing. I'm just worried if I need to go ahead and take care of it now.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Dr. Perry gave you good advice. I'll add that unless such a lump enlarges in size dramatically (e.g., doubles in size within a couple of months), ulcerates and bleeds, or bothers my patient or caretaker, it can be continued to be monitored only. The only practical manner in which to determine what such a lump represents is to have her vet needle aspirate it and examine the aspirate microscopically. This can be done while you wait in the exam room and if the vet is uncertain about what he/she is seeing under the microscopic, the aspirate can be sent to our pathologist for review. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Shay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian