Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is 8 pounds, sorry, Our dog is 8 pounds 11 years old…

Customer Question
Our dog is 8...

Our dog is 8 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Sorry

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Our dog is 8 pounds 11 years old very active and happy. Since the hurricane she won't eat looks sad can hardly walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes we did there isn't a wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Chloe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chloe?

I don't think so she is usually very active and now doesn't even want to walk

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Chloe is eating less, lethargic, and not walking well since the recent stress of the hurricane. I am assuming she has not lost the ability to walk, but can you please clarify for me if she is able to stand if put in that position or are her legs paralyzed? Also, is there any vomiting or diarrhea?

No vomiting or diarrhea
My wife thinks she is constipated
She is shaking a couple times aday
She is walking like she is ninty
Most people think she is a puppy when they see her(up until a week ago)

Thank you for that information. Constipation is observed with straining to defecate, frequent attempts to defecate, and sometimes blood or mucus in the stool. It is a common situation after periods of stress or anxiety. Generalized shaking is typically associated with either anxiety or pain. It sounds like her neurologic function is normal if she is able to walk, but her general comfort is likely painful since she is shaking and walking slowly. If the stool is normal and there is no diarrhea or vomiting then I would recommend to focus on supportive measures. This includes changing the food to a low fat option such as boiled chicken, white rice, or sweet potatoes fed in small amounts. Pepcid can be given to help decrease nausea in effort to get her appetite increased. Priobiotics and KaoPectate are also useful to calm any king of intestine inflammation, which is a common problem with acute anxiety. Dogs can safely go up to 3 days of not eating. If she is not eating by that time then a veterinarian should perform some initial diagnostics such as a fecal exam, blood work, and imaging (i.e. x-rays, ultrasound).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.