Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate the end of an egg wash for a pie. ⅓ cup of heavy…

Customer Question
She ate the end...

She ate the end of an egg wash for a pie. ⅓ cup of heavy cream and a raw egg. Then drank a whole bowl of water. Shés playing and acting normal...but I just want to confirm that wont hurt her. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Oops. A 8 mo. old Irish Setter dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes. Irish Setter

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the Irish Setter will be able to digest that. What is the Irish Setter's name and age?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dog?

8 months. Whiskey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dog?

She's very healthy and has not had any stomachs issues before.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, the egg wash, and cream are not going to be toxic. But, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, etc. I would recommend you keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours. If she develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian