Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was born with a forelimb abnormality (her ulnar

Customer Question
My dog was born...

My dog was born with a forelimb abnormality (her ulnar wasn't growing as fast as her radius) so they performed an ulnar osectomy. She was doing well post surgery for a couple of weeks but now is limping bad again with her right front leg. Last time I spoke to my vet he suggested some physical therapy that I perform on her and take a wait and see approach to her right leg. Her condition has worsened and I'm not sure how to proceed with her. She is 7 months old and she is a golden retriever. She seems to not want to put any weight on her right front leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No there is not, her right paw from the wrist joint is turning more outward. It was much straighter after surgery but as she has grown it has gone back to where she started.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sdoe sorry, Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

I'm just not sure at this point if I should get a second opinion or if there is an alternative treatment option than surgery. I'm concerned that if I wait until she has reached maturity that it will have gotten even worse. I don't know if she should be walking. It seems like if I take her for even a very short slow walk she is in pain.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry you both are going through this, having a dog so young that has orthopedic issues is not what you signed up for with your beloved Sadie!

I would very strongly urge you seek a veterinary orthopedist consultation with updated x-rays. We need to determine why she isn't using the leg now and how best to help her whether it be a second surgery, a splint, or physical therapy but I have had cases like this and have had an orthopedist come in, evaluate and in a Golden recently do an MRI to determine how best to help this dog. In this particular case the damage was not at a point a second surgery was advised but we did chat in detail about starting PT because we need him using the leg and "relearning" how to use the leg better. At this point he is doing really well and the PT has been effective in managing his condition (different than your Sadie's).

If you go to ACVS.ORG this is the veterinary orthopedic society page that allows you to enter your zip code to find a surgeon in your area. This is a very specific issue and having someone who deals with this more frequently as a second opinion will ensure you are comfortable with the next step (as much as you are able if it discusses surgery) and as you say prevent further issues since she is still growing. But rechecking x-rays really should be done to compare where she was then, to post op, to now and evaluation by a veterinary orthopedic surgeon is where I would have this performed.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am going into appointments in about an hour but will respond as soon as I am able

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!