Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I had my dog neutered 2 days ago and he's been having a bit…

Customer Question
Hi, I had my...

Hi, I had my dog neutered 2 days ago and he's been having a bit of diarrhea. I've also notice that the last two times this happened there was what looked like blood in the stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Presley?

He's a bit older, about 4 or 5, we were late getting him neutered

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about Presley. I am Dr. Nicole and am working on a solution for you.

Many times when a pet undergoes anesthesia or stress it can disrupt a pets normal schedule of eating, drinking and passing stool. Many dogs will develop stress colitis which can cause soft stool or diarrhea with or without blood.

If he is otherwise feeling well- eating and drinking normally- then there are a few things that you can try at home that might help.

1. Increase fiber- Metamucil is a great fiber source that can be added to his food. Many dogs that have colitis will respond really well to something more natural like fiber. Do not get the flavored type- only the original Metamucil.

2. Bland diet- If you know that he does not have a food allergy or sensitivity to the following, then you can try to provide some white rice or boiled chicken to his diet that might help to calm his stomach down. A probiotic may also be helpful to balance his digestive system.

3. Additional water- some pets will become dehydrated if the stool is soft for an extended period of time. You may want to add extra water to his food to ensure that he is staying hydrated.

Finally if the problem is not resolving then it would be wise to follow up with your veterinarian and he/she can give you something stronger for the diarrhea and ensure that everything is okay with the surgery site etc.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. If not and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated. Even after the rating, you can continue to contact me with questions for approximately 1 week.

Have a great day and please keep me posted on how things are going.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole