Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2 year old boston terrior who has a weird

Customer Question
I have a 2...

I have a 2 year old boston terrior who has a weird rash/hives on his chin that won't go away

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the boston terrier's name?

He is allergic to bee stings and grass, and takes a prescription allergy medication; chlorpherimiranine maleate

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the boston terrier?

His name is Bambino

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! I am Dr. Nicole and would be happy to help you through this situation.

First, I want to say that I love the name Bambino for a Boston! I am working on a reply and will get back

to you shortly.

Well it sounds like he is already on an antihistamine. Has this medication typically worked for him in the past?

How long as the rash been present?

How much does Bambino weigh?

thank you!
he's between 20-25lbs and it's been around for almost a month now, it keeps almost going away. but then it returns, sometimes it starts to bleed a little, i think he might be scratching it open though, i'm not sure.

There are a couple topical things that I can suggest that might help with the condition. If it is not improving, then it will be important for you to have him examined as he might need some stronger medication.

I did get the photos and that helps. I would suggest the following.

1. Gently cleansing the area with a Chlorhexidine wash like Hibiclens. This should be an over the counter product that is

really gentle on the skin and shouldn't cause any irritation.

2. There are 2 options with topical agents that might help the skin. If the skin is irritated but NOT itchy, then you could try to use something called Vetericyn. I love this product!!! This is a great topical product for any skin irritation and can heal the skin really well. It is also very safe. If he has a history of skin disease, you may want to have this on hand anyway.

If the skin is really itchy, you can always try a small amount of a topical corticosteroid to see if it alleviates the redness and and itchiness.

3. If he is really scratching a lot, you may have to use an e-collar. I know, nobody likes to use them, but might help the area to heal better.

4. Zyrtec or Claritin- You have the option of trying a different antihistamine- You can try either one of these.

5 mg ONCE daily. DO NOT USE ZYRTEC OR CLARITIN D WITH A DECONTESTANT.

If it is not helping and Bambino is having other symptoms like itchiness and allergies, then he might need a new/different allergy medication. I am a big fan of Apoquel but requires a full exam.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am happy to work through this with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. If not and

you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated. Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week.

Have a great day and please keep me posted on how things are going.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I was just wondering if you had time to review the information and if you had any questions.