Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dr could I give him antibiotics from his dental cleaning to

Customer Question

Dr John could I give him antibiotics from his dental cleaning to help him out for now?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

You can try, but it may not be the right antibiotic to treat this infection, you may not have enough of it and if there is something else going on, like potential kidney issues (less likely), diabetes or bladder stones; it will just prolong getting the diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh ok thanks I'll go and get it looked at then I just thought it could help him out till I can get in to see her
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

It may help, but sometimes starting on antibiotics before a urinalysis is ran can screw up the results. Plus, if they need to culture the urine, you cannot do that while on antibiotics. Please let me know if you have other concerns.