Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Diarrhea and at end of movement, about a teaspoon of bright

Customer Question

Diarrhea and at end of movement, about a teaspoon of bright red bloody stool. Otherwise, acting fine and wants to eat. Gave him diarrhea medicine (from vet for previous time) and withheld food. But he'll get boiled chicken & rice. Should I have taken him to emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Butch (neutered Yorkie) 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Butch?
Customer: 7 pounds, very active.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Butch.

While the presence of blood as you've seen can be concerning, it doesn't necessarily have to be alarming unless there's a profuse amount of it...which it doesn't sound as if there is. In most cases, the presence of blood reflects an irritated colon and nothing more serious than this.

IBD, internal parasites, dietary indiscretion are only a few examples where blood might be seen.

I would continue his bland diet and the anti-diarrhea medication you were given by your vet. If he worsens in any way and/or the stools don't firm up within another day or so, then a vet visit might be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb