Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Yesterday his eyes became dilated and he was running into

Customer Question

Yesterday his eyes became dilated and he was running into things. Took him to the vet for a cbc and chem and both were normal. His heart rate is slower, no fever, seems to be all nervous system related. She put him on 5mg prednisolone to see if things change.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hunter, he is 1 year old and weighs 7.5 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hunter?
Customer: He is with me on a ranch all day. He killed a mouse yesterday with another dog, and that dog is fine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Hunter. Can you confirm for me that he remains visual at this time? He appears to have suffered a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure). There wouldn't have been enough of any rodenticide - should the mouse have been poisoned - to affect Hunter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We believe he does still have vision, with his eyes being so dialated it is hard to tell. Why wouldn't I have seen this seizure? And what can I do for it?

Complex partial seizures can be evidenced in many different forms. Here are the types of seizures I see:

Partial seizures (previously called petit mal): focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body (e.g., facial twitching, chomping of the mouth); can be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, defecation).

Simple partial seizures don’t alter consciousness. Complex partial seizures (also called psychomotor seizures) alter mentation (mental status) and/or cause behavioral abnormalities in addition to what is seen with simple partial seizures.

Generalized seizures (previously called grand mal) cause diffuse motor activity with loss of consciousness.

Most important, mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Hunter's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Hunter should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should he suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Hunter would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

I'm concerned that his eyes remain mydriatic - wide open pupils. This isn't consistent with a seizure - which usually comes and goes quickly - but instead another intracranial (within the skull) disorder such as one of the many meningoencephalomyelitides. These aren't detected with basic diagnostics but, instead, with cerebrospinal fluid tap/analysis and MRI.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Going through the day, we did spray wasps. I don't recall that hunter was around the direct spraying, but reading the can and petroleum distillates are a main ingredient. Are you familiar with the side effects of this?

Yes, petroleum distillates can irritate the respiratory system when inhaled and cause gastrointestinal distress when ingested. Nervous signs are possible but unlikely unless dermal or oral exposure was significant. The onset of symptoms is generally less than 1-3 hours after exposure. Caretakers usually note salivation, vomiting, retching, excessive licking motions, and coughing.

An intoxication by prescription or recreational drug or other chemical is certainly an important consideration in such a patient.