Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

We rescued a two year old boxer mixed, abvioysly abused,

Customer Question

We rescued a two year old boxer mixed, abvioysly abused, about 5 weeks ago. She is chewing up all remotes, plastic items she can get ahold of, and is peeing and pooping on all carpets. She is extremely sweet, and cowers from everything. Absolutely no aggressive tendencies. Want to keep her but she is ruining my house!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Meg
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meg?
Customer: She has been returned to the pound twice already. She loves to be outdoors.. and she gets along great with our other dog and cat.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We hope so too
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just text

It sounds like she is acting like a puppy and the best way to approach this would be to react in the same way.

Initially, keep things she is not allowed to chew out of her way. It is important however, to give her things that she can chew. Chew toys come in all shapes and sizes so it is best to try a few to find her favorite. If you catch her chewing something she shouldn`t, say a nice firm NO! and swap what she is chewing for something she is allowed to chew.

As for the toilet training, we need to go back to basics here. Every time you put something in the front end, something is likely to come out of the back end. So every time she eats and every time she drinks, try and take her outside to potty. If she does go to the bathroom outside, give her lots of praise. Be as goofy as you can, make a really big deal of it and give her lots of fuss. If you catch her toileting in the house take her outside immediately.

Dogs learn much much quicker with positive reinforcement rather than punishment, so scalding her for doing something wrong is likely less productive than praising for things she is doing right. Also, for her to link peeing with going outside, if she is peeing in the house, she needs to be taken out immediately to associate the two things. If you wait a few minutes and then take her out, she won`t connect the two events.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. However, most of the time she dies this is overnight when we are asleep. I've tried to put her in kennel at night, but she is a master escape artist, literally... and gets out.

You can try and confine her to a single space at night rather than a kennel, the kitchen for example. They are often more reluctant to toilet in the house if they are in a confined space where they cannot escape it so easily.