Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

The dog ingested an ibuprofen tablet that I dropped I am

Customer Question

the dog ingested an ibuprofen tablet that I dropped I am concerned about toxicity
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Terrier mix 14-16lbs body weight, current on all shots
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did this occur?

What was the mg dosage on the ibuprofen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Less than 20 minutes and the tablet was 200 mg
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. She most likely didn't ingest enough to cause a concern for kidney toxicity, but she did ingest enough to cause concern for gastrointestinal problems, including ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. At this point, the best thing to do is to induce vomiting with 1 tablespoon (15 mls or 1/2 ounce) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given orally. This dose can be repeated in 10 minutes once if there is no vomiting. After the vomiting has passed, I would start her on 5 mg of Prilosec once daily for 10 days to help protect the stomach. It would be a very good idea to have your vet run some routine blood work on her to get baseline kidney enzyme values just to be on the safe side. If there is no vomiting after the hydrogen peroxide, or you do not see the pill, I would alert your vet. They may be able to get her to vomit easier and give her medical grade activated charcoal to help bind any remaining drug. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.