Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm hoping u can help me

Customer Question
I'm hoping u can help me
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
When she ready to eat she focuses normally...she has no problem moving from one end to the other in the whelping box
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

Does she only show these signs after she eats? Does she seem smaller than you would expect? Is she growing well?

More so after she eats. Yes. She is the only female in this litter. She is smaller. None of the other males are displaying the same. She flops to one side or the other but she uses her feet to move back over. She seems to favor the left side head tilt but straightens out to find bottle.
She loves sleeping on her back. From birth we have always noticed upon eating she limp till u wake her up
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

These signs are concerning as they can be associated with a liver issue called a portal-systemic shunt.

This is a problem where her blood supply has a bypass of her liver, leading to increase in toxins after she eats as the liver is not having a sufficient detoxing effect. It can progress and lead to serious neurological issues and seizures. If the diagnosis is confirmed, it may be corrected surgically. however, it can require specialized ultrasound scans to diagnose.

There are measures you can take at home to try and lessen the signs. Administering antibiotics along with liquid paraffin can be helpful in managing these signs as they are growing, however I would be keen to have her assessed by a vet as catching this problem early on, often gives a better outlook.

We are on our way to the vets now. Now that I have exhausted this Avenue with you is this a one time fee or do I need a number to cancel future withdraws?
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago

This is a one time fee, you should not receive any future charges.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 11 months ago
Hi Missy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willow. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling