Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 60lbs. & ate an 80 mg. of Diovan pill, 6 years

Customer Question

my dog is 60lbs. & ate an 80 mg. of Diovan pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if 60lbs will be able to digest that. How old is 60lbs?
Customer: 6 years old, has a lot of fat on him, 1/2 pug, chubby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 60lbs?
Customer: no nothing else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your dog. I did some research on this and found the following. Diovan (valsartan) is an angiotensin II antagonist. It seems to have a pretty wide margin of safety for acute overdoses with dogs. I found a source that said doses of 10 mg/kg have been used in dogs. Your guy is a little over 27 kg. So the dose he got is 2.22 mg / kg. I would not expect any significant blood pressure issues in a healthy dog getting this dose.