Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My 4 month old dog swallowed part of a deer antler size is

Customer Question

my 4 month old dog swallowed part of a deer antler size is about 3/4 inch by 2 inches. She is part French bulldog and part Boston Terrior she is not showing distress. Can she pass it What should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Meeka
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meeka?
Customer: She swallowed it last night and today is still very active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

An antler that size could potentially cause problems, however we do not need to worry unless she is showing signs of an obstruction. Signs to look out for would be vomiting and diarrhea, lack of appetite or signs of abdominal discomfort. She may be able to digest the antler over time and it could cause no problem, however if you are seeing any of the mentioned signs, I would be keen to get her checked out. Did she manage to chew the antler?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has been chewing on this for the past two weeks and got it down to this size. I was going to take it away from her because of the size but before I could she had swallowed it. She has eaten and is very active today.

I would advise keeping any eye out for any vomiting. If she is not showing any signs of a problem, you do not need to be concerned.

I would advise refraining from giving her a chew as hard as a deer antler until her teeth are stronger and more mature, as an antler has the potential to cause damage to her developing teeth.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long does it take under normal circumstances for the food she eats now to process to a stool

Under normal circumstances, around 24 hours, but transit time varies depending on the composition of the diet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Richard Rawling
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It appears that the antler has passed. I haven't seen it in her stools but she has been very active and is eating, drinking and playing. Five days later I am confident there is nothing for me to be concerned with.

Thats great news!

Best Wishes,

Richard.