Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 80 pound golden retriever got into the trash where I had…

My 80 pound golden retriever...
My 80 pound golden retriever got into the trash where I had used Neupro patches. A couple of days later she died.
I know that the package has a warning to keep away from pets.
What I want to know is how this affected herr to make her die.
Please add "text" also.
9/14/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about Gracie's sudden passing. I did some research on this drug as it is one that isn't well studied in dogs. Rotigotine (Neupro) is a dopamine agonist which in dogs should act similar to another drug that is used very commonly with dogs - apomorphine. When apomorphine is used in dogs it is used to induce vomiting for toxicity situations. I use it almost daily at my ER as an IV injectable to get dogs to vomit up things that they ate. Large doses could cause -- vomiting, hypotension, CNS depression. Rotigotine doesn't have the best data in dogs due to the vomiting issue in dogs. The trials were done in rats and monkeys. For them when it is absorbed, rotigotine is rapidly metabolized and eliminated with a half-life of 3-4 h. Doses up to 30 mg/kg q 48 h were tolerated in mice. Given all this information, it would seem unlikely that her acute passing was due to getting into those patches. If it was even part of the issue, it would seem that a lot of vomiting would have been seen first prior to any other bad issues. With an older Golden suddenly passing, my big concern is a tumor that may have been bleeding inside her abdomen. At my ER we see similar cases pretty frequently where a tumor on the spleen suddenly starts to bleed and they bleed out (all on the inside and nothing can be seen externally) and pass in a few hours in some cases. The heart is also a very big source of issues if suddenly it goes into failure. If she wasn't vomiting, then it wouldn't seem to be tied into the patches.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Thank you!!