Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

What dosage of triam/htcz should I give my lab for CHF? I

Customer Question

what dosage of triam/htcz should I give my lab for CHF? I lost the bottle?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Can you confirm what drugs Brownie is taking and his weight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Triam/htcz and she is large about 135 lbs
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Message is fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I lost my bottle for my lab's CHF meds... Not sure how much to give her? Triam/htcz? She is 130 lbs
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need a response way bf 24 hours

Hi, we`re back in conversation, it seems you opted me out.

I`m just looking for information on triam/hctz as they are not drug names I amm familiar with, bear with me.

Ok, HCTZ is an abbreviation for a thiazide diuretic which is used to manage the fluid in heart failure. Its recommended dose range is 0.5 to 2.5mg/lb, so for a dog of Brownie`s size, I would recommend a dose of ~150mg twice daily for a mid range dose.

The Triam is a drug I am not familiar with in treating heart failure. Was this medication prescribed by a vet? Triamcinolone is a drug used for arthritis rather than heart problems, so I am unsure which drug you are referring to.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The dosage is listed as 37.5 and I can't remember how many to give?

The dosage of which drug?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's all in one..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's called Triam/htcz?

Ah, ok. I have found it now. Triamterene and HCTZ. It is a human medication. I am not familiar with its use in veterinary patients, was this medication prescribed by a vet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I`m afraid I am not familiar with its use, so I do not feel I can recommend a suitable dose. My best advice would be to speak to the vet who prescribed the medication, however I will opt out and one of the other vets here may have experience with these drugs.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Rawling for you. The pill contains 37.5 mg of triamterene - a potassium-sparing diuretic, and 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ). Dosing of each diuretic can be at 1 mg per pound of body weight and so a 135 lb dog could receive 3-4 pills every 12 hours and that dose can be titred up or down predicated upon need. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.