Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have some questions. I have an English bulldog 1 year old…

Customer Question
Hi so I have some...
Hi so I have some questions. I have an English bulldog 1 year old and about 55 pounds and from the bat I can tell she had an anal sac abscess rupture this evening. I did notice the last couple of days she was scooting her rear on the ground more than normal and that it looked a little red, but when I came home today her rear was covered in blood and there was a hole about where I believe her left anal sac would be. I normally get her groomed and have the sacs expressed but have been busy with work and haven't had a chance to lately. I've been reading a lot online and have already been doing warm compresses throughout the evening so my question is really what to do next? I'm in the middle of a move at the moment and don't know that I could afford to take her to the vet right now if avoidable. Some of what I have ready is tlaking aabout getting her to vet asap for surgery, some has said it can clear on its own once ruptured but risk of bacterial infection. I did see something about having them soak in Epson salt bath, just really not sure how severe this is so any advice would be appreciated!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

I hope so, normally I am the first to jump to go to the vet, but if it's an expense that I can avoid at the moment that would be amazing
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

This is not a disaster situation and she should indeed feel much better now the pressure has released. In the case of a simple anal gland infection, she should not require surgery. However, these infections can be very difficult to get under control and almost always require antibiotic treatment, often for extended courses.

What you can do at home initially is bathe the affected area with a salt water solution. This has very good antibacterial properties when used at a concentration of 1 tablespoon of salt to 1 pint of water. Bathe the area twice daily and ensure it is dry afterwards.

I would recommend a visit to the vet to receive appropriiate antibiotics however as the infection can be persistant otherwise.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Hi Matthew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling