Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 10 years old. We adopted him as a rescue when he

Customer Question

My dog is 10 years old. We adopted him as a rescue when he was about 1 yr. old, in 2007. We live in Delaware, he came from Alabama. We thought he was part Dachshund but DNA results show Rottweiler - 25%, Labrador Retriever - 12.5, Pekingese - 12.5%, Pembroke Welsh Corgi - 12.5%, Shih Tzu - 12.5%. His short legs and long body look like they come from the welsh corgi. We just got his DNA done 2 months ago. Not long after we adopted him he began going lame on one back leg. The vet said it was his knee or his stifle, Not long after that his other back leg went lame. It seemed to alternate from one leg to the other. He began limping some. They said it was arthritis probably coming from his back because dachshunds were know to have that problem. In the meantime he was an active little guy who LOVED to run and play. He would have his slow down times but would try to keep going. The vet treated him for arthritis with NSAIDS. He's had problems with his nails splitting in an odd way and mouth/jaw eating problems with a huge under-bite.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Last November they finally xrayed him all over and he does Not have arthritis. Feet are pretty good now. His problem is
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: more with the limping and now having problems with the steps., No arthritis surprised everyone and now says he probably has an,auto immune disease. but nothing is being done. He is getting worse. We wantto find out why he is limping and lame for all of these years. His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Booboo?
Customer: He is my shadow and we are very attached. He seems to know when I hurt and when my back is bad etc. Sleeps above my pillow.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me what diagnostics your vet has performed thus far. As well, do you have copies of the results to share?