Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a dog I recently rescued I do not know much about his…

Customer Question
Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have a dog I recently rescued I do not know much about his backstory but he is very skiddish, will not approach people, little shy guy. He's progressing very well, it's been 3 weeks but he has a lot of scars all over his body and I am wondering what could have caused them

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cashew?

I do have a lot of questions about a lot of his behaviors that I haven't been able to find solutions to via internet but nothing in particular.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He has started to trust me but he spends most of his time Pacing, I introduced him to a few other dogs (I have an Aunt that has a few dogs..) One of them in particular, I believe she felt his anxiety and went after him.. he did noting in response and is very very submissive. He has weird quirks such as never being able to lose sight of the door (he has not walked into any room of the house except for the entryway and living room, which he can see the door from) but loves to be on a leash and in confined spaces. I am very curious as to what this could stem from or mean so that I can help him to heal in the best way for him. I have attached some pictures to help, I am also wondering what kind of dogs he may have in him, if you have any background in such... We're thinking he may definitely be a boxer mix but would love a professional opinion. Thanks so much! Jazmine
IMG_1271[193].JPGIMG_127...JPGIMG_1251[195].JPGIMG_125...JPGIMG_1215[194].JPGIMG_121...JPG21150242_163932372275607...jpg2115024...jpg
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

I hope so too. Thanks Richard
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

The small scars visible from your pictures are likely a result of a bacterial skin infection. He may have had several pustules than can be very irritating and can leave small scars such as this, a bit like human acne. The lesions look to be well resolved.

He looks like quite a character! If he were from the UK, we would describe him as a Staffordshire Bull terrier cross, I realize you are in the US, so he may well be a pit mix.

I used to own a pit bull and he doesn't seem to have many pit bull tendencies and his face is narrow, ears are very big but I'm sure it possible.
These scars are all over him on his exterior.. outsides of legs rather than on the inside, on his face, nose and chest with most of them being on his front end so. They are definitely healed but I am not sure if they would be caused from an infection, a bite from another dog maybe? He was confiscated from a cruelty case but I am not sure about his past, so I was curious to see if that would be possible. I am not sure what seasoned dog bites look like
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

If most of them are on his front end it could possibly be old fight wounds, yes.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling