Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My maltpoo is 6 years old and for the last 2 weeks she is…

Customer Question
Hello my maltpoo is...

Hello my maltpoo is 6 years old and for the last 2 weeks she is having problems with walking or if I pick her up she cry like something is hurting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Paris

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paris?

I notice sometimes she get scars on her skin

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Does Paris have any history of back or neck problems?

No Paris does not
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Certain breeds that generally have long backs like poodles, dachshunds, terriers and chihuahuas tend to have disc issues in the back. Much like a human's back problem, it doesn't hurt all the time, but certain movements might cause pain. Humans can understand this but dogs don't know what is going to make the pain start up. As a result, dogs might walk a little funny or gingerly. They often will avoid stairs and jumping as well. In addition, often people do not pick their dogs up correctly and that puts undue pressure on the discs in the back leading to discomfort and even pain.

The proper way to pick up a small dog is to place one hand on the chest near the front legs and scoop the rear legs into the other hand and lift straight up so the back stays horizontal with no extra pressure on it.

An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. When just starting, it can lead to discomfort only. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If you ccan get her in to be seen you should hold off on any aspirin as the vet can give stronger medication that may aid in healing quicker. I would keep her as inactive as possible for at least a week meaning crated and only leashed walks for elimination purposes. This may give the disc time to heal and eliminate the need for more serious treatment.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner