Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My 16 pound mini dachshund just ate 100 mg of tramadol. I

Customer Question

My 16 pound mini dachshund just ate 100 mg of tramadol. I was putting it in cheese for my saint Bernard, accidently dripped it and my mini dachshund ate it. Is he going to be okay?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke and he's 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: No he's perfectly healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I am calculating max dose....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

max dose around 72 mg.....let me look at toxic dose......hang on a sec...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

it would take a dose of up to 20mg/kg to be dangerous.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

that would be 145 mg....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

when did this happen?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I mean how long ago?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

when did your dog get the tramadol?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 20 minutes ago. He's acting fine, but I just wanted to make sure he was going to be okay
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

How old is he and is he healthy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he's healthy and he's 10
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

ok, in all likelihood he is going to be fine because he did not ingest a toxic dose......but he will get sleepy....watch for odd behaviors like pacing, circling and anything different other than his normal....you will see mild sedation though...

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

can I answer any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. He is my very first personal dog so hes my baby. No further question.
Again thank you!!
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I would appreciate a positive rating for my work.....thank you very much!DRB