Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He is itching and red on his belly, he has food allergies

Customer Question

He is itching and red on his belly, he has food allergies that cause the same issues, that I can control with diet. Can I give him Claritin or Zyrtec OTC
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is 3
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hercules
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hercules?
Customer: He takes Trifexis and is due in 2 days for his next dose
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The situation is that both Claritin and Zyrtec have been prescribed for dogs with various types allergies, I will give you a link to both these meds so you can read about them in more depth { Including dose rates for the dog }

2. Claritin : LINK

3. Zyrtec : LINK

4. Also consider Benadryl, this would be your more usual option. Benadryl is used very frequently in the dog and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day. Please follow this link for more info. LINK

The Trifexis dose should not interfere with antihistamines. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Hercules is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin condition ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?