Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

How dangerous is mrsa for a dog, he has mrsa staf infection,

Customer Question

how dangerous is mrsa for a dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: he has mrsa staf infection
JA: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: tristan 14 years old with diabetis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tristan?
Customer: has heart problems
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

MRS are not inherently more virulent than susceptible staphylococci and the prognosis for MRS infections is uusally good. The key is early recognition via culture to ensure that proper treatment is initiated and the risk of transmission is minimized. Diabetics are more prone to both skin and urinary tract infections and Staph infections are the most common of the skin infections. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.