Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there any eye drops that will take away cateracts in my…

Customer Question
Is there any eye...

Is there any eye drops that will take away cateracts in my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dnny boy, about *years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

That was Danny Boy. No he is in great health otherwise

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Danny Boy has this problem ...

I have worked out an answer for you below but I am afraid I am not going to be of much use to you as far as easy solutions go, but I am going to tell you the precise facts. Like all small animal vets I have treated eye conditions in dogs for a number of years including many cases of diabetes related cataracts and other cataract cases such as age related ones.

1. My opinion is that there is no eye drop or other medication which in my experience will restore your dog's vision if the deterioration is related to true cataracts. I am aware such products are advertised on the internet without prescription.

2. Further there is no eye drop or drug which will prevent further deterioration, once this process has started it will most likely continue.

3. There are surgical options for dogs with cataracts and surgery can be very successful, this the only viable treatment I am aware of. If you have your local vet check out his eyes you can find out what your options are in terms of surgery.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian