Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

Buddy has some throat problems when excited, Terrier type,

Customer Question

Buddy has some throat problems when excited
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Terrier type
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the terrier?
Customer: From time to time he has throats sound like choking. He has a vet who told my wife to follow him around with a video camera so he can hear it! Sounds stupid which we're not going to do.
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and he's about six? He was a rescue dog.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: He very hesitant with me. Probably had a bad experience. He very slowly coming around but ...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Cudiamat replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I can completely understand why Buddy's vet would ask for a video of Buddy to help make a diagnosis, as often our patients do not do the behavior in question while at the hospital. I often ask the same of my clients.

The most common cause choking sounds when excited is reverse sneezing and is very common in smaller breed dogs.

Here is a video for you to compare to Buddy's behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Please let me know if this is consistent with what you are seeing from Buddy.