Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Buddy has some throat problems when excited, Terrier type,

Customer Question
Buddy has some throat...

Buddy has some throat problems when excited

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Terrier type

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the terrier?

From time to time he has throats sound like choking. He has a vet who told my wife to follow him around with a video camera so he can hear it! Sounds stupid which we're not going to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the terrier's name and age?

Buddy and he's about six? He was a rescue dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?

He very hesitant with me. Probably had a bad experience. He very slowly coming around but ...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I can completely understand why Buddy's vet would ask for a video of Buddy to help make a diagnosis, as often our patients do not do the behavior in question while at the hospital. I often ask the same of my clients.

The most common cause choking sounds when excited is reverse sneezing and is very common in smaller breed dogs.

Here is a video for you to compare to Buddy's behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Please let me know if this is consistent with what you are seeing from Buddy.