Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

Hematoma in ear ... flat coated retriever, 6 yrs, Jiggs,

Hematoma in ear ... flat coated retriever
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the retriever's name and age?
Customer: 6 yrs, Jiggs
JA: What is the retriever's name?
Customer: Jiggs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jiggs?
Customer: He had the ear surgery... stitches still in ... looks like a darned sock ... what should we do to prevent this from happening with other ear

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Jiggs is recovering from an ear hematoma. I wish him well in his recovery.

An ear hematoma is a bruise caused by ruptured blood vessels within the ear flap. The most common cause for these vessels to rupture is from head shaking. Dogs will most often shake their heads in response to allergic inflammation or infection in their ears.

My recommendation would be to check his ears regularly for redness, debris and odor.

(Once he has recovered fully from surgery), clean his ears weekly for maintenance prevention using a routine ear cleaner and cotton balls. If you see irritation or debris accumulating, have him seen by his vet quickly to have an ear infection treated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We try to clean the ears daily ....If allergy is Benedryl OK...Normally without infection, how many days before stitches are removed ...(I realize that without seeing the dog it's difficult to answer) ... however, keeping Jiggs with a Mother Hubbard type cone for 3 weeks, minimum walks without play etc. seems over the top ...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My vet doesn't seem to care too much ... better perhaps if I insist he see Jiggs (hasn't since operation Sept 6) than waste your time ...Thank you for your effort

As strict as it may seem, it is standard of care for stitches to be removed at 3 weeks, and I make the same recommendation for my patients after surgery. Though a routine spay or neuter will have sutures removed at 2 weeks, it can take longer for the ear to heal and properly scar due to the cartilage in the ear. If there sutures are removed before complete healing of the ear, it can unfortunately reswell with a hematoma.

Regarding your question about Benadryl, it can be helpful in reducing allergic inflammation. It is dosed a 1mg/lb in dogs, and can be given every 12hrs. It can make them sleepy however.

Zyrtec (Cetirizine) is a different antihistamine option. For a flat coated retriever, I would recommend dosing at 1 tablet (10mg) every 12hrs.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Hi Alina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Denise Cudiamat

Hi, it's Dr. Denise checking in on Jiggs. How is he healing?

Is there anything else I can help you with?