Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

His eye is swollen, looks like a bee sting. Rocky, 10 months…

His eye is swollen...

His eye is swollen, looks like a bee sting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Rocky Joe, 10 months old german sheperd

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

No, our vet is close at this time can you help?

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear about Rocky Joe! I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue once the eye swelling subsides

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 4 hours until swelling reduces then every 6-8 hours for 24 hours to prevent recurrence. May sedate mildly

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

Thanks

You are very welcome, I truly hope that this swelling goes away quickly. Remember no rubbing!

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Good evening, I am going to be signing off for the night and hoping that Rocky's eye swelling has subsided? I would love an update when you are able?

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman