Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2.5 year old, red-nose pitt seems to have a skin rash…

Customer Question
My 2.5 year old...

My 2.5 year old, red-nose pitt seems to have a skin rash under one front leg and around her groin. She's been itching a lot so I had some douxo calm spray left over that I've used 3 -4 times since last night. I also gave her 1 benadryl @ 6 AM. How often can I use the douxo? Can't make it to the vet today because I have a teaching deadline I'm trying to meet!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Mia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mia?

Not really. She's on a daily dose of omegas (fish oil) as recommended by her vet since her last inflammatory episode months ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am sorry to hear Mia is having this issue. According to the information on the product it should only be used 2-3 times weekly (CLICK HERE)

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam tomorrow if you are able to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch to confirm the dose for your dog, as a Pit you likely can administer a higher dose than you currently are using. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Ensure the fish oil supplement has 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!