Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is experiencing signs of false pregnancy..teats slightly…

Customer Question
She is experiencing signs...

She is experiencing signs of false pregnancy..teats slightly swollen and milky substance. Could this cause her to throw up every day or so ? She plays, no fever, no diarrhea. It does seem to happen when I give her a Beggin Strip.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No, nothing . She is a 2 year old rat terrier and strictly an inside dog. Goes out in fenced yard when I or my husband is out also.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Heidi

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
9/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

How long has she been showing these signs for? When was she last in heat?

She was last in heat about 2 months ago. She has been this way for a couple of weeks. She is more "high strung" and sensitive than my other rat terrier, her sister
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

The timing does sound right. Is she otherwise well in herself?

Could the Beggin Strips be a problem?
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Has she had them before without issue?

when I stopped giving them for a few days...the throwing up stopped. I gave her some yesterday and she threw up a little first thing this morning.
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

then they may simply be upsetting her stomach. Does she vomit when she eats otherwise?

No and it is just a foamy substance.
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Ok, may be best to avoid the Beggin strips then. My best advice to settle the false pregnancy signs is to halve her food and double her exercise. This can help put them into a negative energy balance and help the false pregnancy settle down. If she is nursing herself, or mothering toys, this shoud be discouraged as the act of mothering can stimulate prolactin secretion and draw the signs out for even longer.

How long before these false pregnancy symptoms are gone. She is not nesting or mothering toys.
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

It can last for 3-4 weeks without treatment. There is a medication called cabergoline which is available from your vet and is very effective at settling the signs, however it is not my favorite drug as it can cause vomiting as a side effect.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling